The Paralympics was the perfect opportunity to unfurl the CLIMATE REVOLUTION banner.
In 2008, the New Economics Foundation announced their “100 Months” campaign – the amount of time they estimate we have to stabilize the level of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere before the risk of uncontrollable planet warming becomes unacceptably high.
We are now halfway through, with 50 more months to go – therefore we have to do it by the next Olympics. We have a choice: Hell or a Future better than the human race has ever known.
The Revolution is already begun.
The fact of man- made climate change is accepted by most people. Through every walk of life people are changing their values and their behaviour, this seems to be happening in the US, despite its being politically backward. This continues to build the Revolution. The fight is no longer between the classes or between rich and poor but between the idiots and the eco-conscious.
We need a formal inauguration of the Revolution and a plan of operation.
Resist Economic Propaganda
Our economic system, run for profit and waste and based primarily on the extractive industries, is the cause of climate change. We have wasted the earth’s treasure and we can no longer exploit it cheaply. This shows up as a symptom; the symptom which is the proof of climate change is the financial crisis.
Economists treat economics as if it is a pure science divorced from the facts of life. The result of this false accountancy is a willful confusion under cover of which industry wreaks its havoc scot-free and ignores the human and environmental cost. The old, blind, mechanistic and life threatening view of economists prevents a true analysis. If they included climate change in their analysis we could work towards a better future. If we want a sound economy we have to have a sound environment- stop climate change.
Plan of operation
1) Affirm the connection between climate change and the financial crisis.
2) Implement two measures without which we cannot stop climate change:
i. Establish the Artic Commons
ii. Save the Rainforest
Both of these are possible right now.
3) Tackle the need for clean energy. The quickest safe option is nuclear. The problem is that the public is against it. We think this is because of false propaganda from the press who have massively misrepresented the facts to satisfy the thrill of a good scare story. (You can still be part of the Revolution even if you don’t agree – it’s just that time is running out and we need to decide.)
4) Curb the Corporations, especially the extractive industries and agribusiness. (We notice a recently coined word, “Corporocracy”.) We shall now form a cabinet of operations so that we can rally the troops who are already forming.
How to join the Revolution
Many people have changed their way of living. The more this happens, the greater the Revolution, the greater the chance of saving our planet.
1) Money is a means to an end, not an end in itself. “I never waste money I spend it”- Oscar Wilde. Maybe you’ll give a donation to an NGO or charity. You can give your support in other ways. Just by following one you will learn a lot, this is support.
2) Quality v Quantity
3) Buy less, choose well, make it last (we don’t want the “latest thing” just for the sake of it.)
4) Prepare and cook your own food.
5) Cut out plastic.
6) Inform yourselves.
7) Consider the responsibility of not having or having children. Chances of survival will be clear by next Olympics.
Take an active part in events of the Revolution as it starts to build.
9) Engage in art and culture.
10) Your own idea.
Posted on Vivienne’s Diary blog ‘Get a Life’: www.activeresistance.co.uk